Invest for Impact
February 16, 2018
The Invest for Impact experience includes a wide variety of challenges in a WIN-WIN-WIN convergence of three elite groups: top MBA students, visionary, socially - or sustainably-minded entrepreneurs and successful impact investors, each of whom has much to learn from the others. In this competition, student teams from MBA programs around the world will play the role of impact investors. They will review the business plans of three companies and select the company they would invest in based off of both financial viability and their social or environmental impact.
Formerly the Sustainable Venture Capital Investment Competition (SVCIC), Invest for Impact is an MBA case competition bringing real startups and investors together with MBA students.
In this competition, student teams from MBA programs around the world will play the role of impact investors. They will review the business plans of three companies and select the company they would invest in based off of both financial viability and their social or environmental impact.
Invest for Impact is a one-day competition that takes place in early spring. UNC Kenan-Flagler will host an internal round to select the Kenan-Flager Invest for Impact team in February.
3 Key Groups Participating:
- MBA Students: Invest for Impact is designed first and foremost for the student experience. Each student team plays the role of an impact investing firm that must go through the entire impact investment process in an extremely condensed time period.
- Entrepreneurs: Entrepreneurs are the life-blood of Invest for Impact; they share their visions and dreams with the students. They also challenge students to identify the critical risks and milestones necessary to succeed in their vision. Years of painstaking effort are condensed into a written plan and a 10-minute pitch to be quickly digested by teams.
- Impact Investor Judges: While students and entrepreneurs are participating in this simulated human drama, a panel of impact investors observes from the periphery. After the entrepreneurs depart, the tables are turned, and the students must start pitching. They must convince their "partners," the impact investors acting as judges, that their investment decisions are sound, there will be reasonable returns for the risk taken and that their investment has a social or environmental impact. Finally, judges must choose a winner - the team they would most like to have as their impact investing partner.
Teams of 5 MBA students.
- 1st Place: UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School
- 2nd Place: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
- 3rd Place: Jenkins Graduate School of Management at NC State University
Below are all participating schools of 2017.