About IRDP Internships
About Working at Johnson & Johnson
About the Hiring Process
About IRDP Internships
What is IRDP?
Our International Recruitment and Development Program (IRDP) identifies highly qualified candidates for accelerated development in Asia-Pacific, Europe/Middle East/Africa, and Latin America.
IRDP can support your career goals through a personal development plan that includes hands-on assignments at the local, regional, and/or international level, along with structured training and personal interaction with leaders. The emphasis is on meaningful responsibilities as an integral member of a cross-functional team.
What are the eligibility requirements for an IRDP internship?
- Enrollment in either an MBA or a Master's-level management accredited degree program.
- Availability full time for a period of at least 8-10 weeks between April 2012 and October 2012.
- Fluency in English and the language of the country where the internship assignment is located.
- Legal authorization to work permanently (i.e., without time limitations, without restrictions, or without need for work sponsorship) in the country where the internship assignment is located.
How will an IRDP internship with a Johnson & Johnson company be different from other internships I might choose?
- The businesses, markets, people, and challenges you encounter will be relevant to your home region or country.
- You'll be part of a world-class leadership development program with more than 25 years of success.
- Interns are connected to our global health care enterprise and our culture of caring...all of which are focused on improving the health and well-being of people everywhere.
What kinds of support will I have during my internship assignment?
Your internship assignment will create an outstanding opportunity for challenging on-the-job experiences and you will need to be prepared to make the most of that opportunity.
There will be meetings and group programs during the internship period.
Participants will have opportunities to build or expand their professional networks as they connect with peers and experienced leaders in our businesses.
What are the functional roles/categories for internships?
- Health Economics/Market Access
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Quality Assurance
- Research & Development
Can interns choose the business segment or functional role they prefer to work in?
Yes, applicants can indicate their preference at the time of interviews. Every effort will be made to match students' preferences when possible.
About Working at Johnson & Jonhson
Will an internship assignment improve my chances of gaining a full-time position at a Johnson & Johnson company?
- Participation in an IRDP internship gives candidates an outstanding opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge and creativity to their managers and to our business leaders. As a result, successful participants often receive offers for full-time employment after their internship.
- Candidates also get the opportunity to get to know our businesses and corporate culture. This helps them ensure that our work environment, challenges, and values are what they're looking for as a career pathway.
Will I have an opportunity to explore other Johnson & Johnson companies beyond the company I intern with?
Every Johnson & Johnson career path is unique and, in most cases, can move across our businesses and business segments depending on the personal drive and success of the employee.
Many full-time employees will create a career strategy of gaining knowledge, achievement, and internal contacts before broadening their experience with a cross-business or crosssegment move. Their managers are often a good source of advice on applying the right combination of performance and drive to make these moves possible.
What are some of the key qualities that differentiate Johnson & Johnson from other companies?
- Our Credo defines our commitment to customers, employees, communities, and stockholders. It has guided the ethical conduct of our business and corporate social responsibility since its inception in 1943. The impact of the shared values in Our Credo is also seen in our consistently being named one of the most admired and respected companies in the world.
- Our decentralized structure is appealing to employees because it provides the agility for managers at the local and regional levels to implement strategies that are appropriate to their marketplaces. It engenders an entrepreneurial spirit and promotes cross-functional teamwork and collaboration.
- The exceptional depth and breadth of our involvement in health care can provide broadly based career opportunities that few other companies can match. We are a company with the scope and stability to provide substantial career opportunities, and a focus on caring that enriches the career experience.
About the Hiring Process
How does the hiring process work?
Apply to one or more positions in Asia-Pacific, EMEA, or Latin America at careers.jnj.com/internship-co-op-programs, based on where you have permanent work authorization in the country where the position exists.
If contacted, you will need to participate in an interview during January or February.
Final interviews, if you are selected for one, take place during February and March.
Interviews will take place either on campus or by phone.
Which countries currently offer internship opportunities in each region?
- Australia/New Zealand, Greater China, Japan, Korea, and Southeast Asia
Requisition Number Region
000001ZA Australia/New Zealand
000001Z5 Greater China
000001Z9 Southeast Asia
- France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Turkey, UAE, UK, and West Africa
Requisition Number: 00000226
- Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, Panama, Peru, and Venezuela
Requisition Number: 0000024V
Additional opportunities in other countries may become available.
If Johnson & Johnson is scheduled to visit my campus, do I need to do anything special to apply?
- In this case, check with your school for special application procedures and deadlines that may apply.
- Despite any school-specific requirements that may exist, applying through careers.jnj.com/internship-co-op-programs is imperative for your application to be considered.
If Johnson & Johnson does not visit my university, how can I be considered for an interview?
You can apply for an internship at careers.jnj.com/internshipco- op-programs, and if selected, a phone interview will be arranged.
Does Johnson & Johnson sponsor candidate visas for work outside their home region/country?
We typically do not sponsor visas for IRDP assignments outside of your own home region or country. However, in some rare cases, under very special circumstances, we may sponsor a candidate's visa depending on functional area or business needs.
IRDP internships are specifically designed to develop potential business leaders who will work for our businesses in their home country.
What helps a candidate stand out during the interview process?
Candidates should be prepared to discuss specific past experiences at school and/or at work that demonstrate their readiness to take on the responsibilities of the position. There may be particular emphasis on leadership potential, teamwork and collaboration, innovation, meeting work/project challenges, and genuine interest in the field of health care.
Candidates may also want to read materials on careers.jnj.com in order to ask meaningful questions about the company.
Is training available for interns who do not have prior experience in the healthcare industry?
Yes, through your on-the-job experiences and interactions with peers and business leaders, you will gain a working knowledge of your business and its industry. Successful interns will drive conversations and connections to help expand their practical knowledge.