Global Venture Labs Investment Competition
May 08, 2020
The Texas Venture Labs Investment Competition (TVLIC) is designed to mimic the real-world process of raising venture capital. Graduate students from the University of Texas System present their ideas for new businesses and receive invaluable feedback from entrepreneurs and investors.
If you want to gain real-world experience working for startups, apply for the TVL Practicum class. In that environment, you get course credit for working for Austin-area startups.
This semester, John Brumley Texas Venture Labs, held our biannual Investment Competition (TVLIC) online on Friday, May 8, 2020. This virtual competition offers a unique opportunity for graduate students from any UT System school to pitch their startup ideas to a panel of investors and entrepreneurs.
Past participants, such as the founders of uShip, BeatBox Beverages and Ordoro to name a few, have gone on to do great things after launching their startups at TVLIC. Many other participants have leveraged their TVLIC experience and feedback from the judges to accelerate their careers outside of entrepreneurship.
Along with the new format, we debuted an exciting new suite of prizes including:
First Place - $15,000
• A seat in the Company-in-Residence Program
• Free three months at Capital Factory
• Access to the tools and a personalized coaching session with the creator of the Lean Canvas, Ash Maurya
• $10,000 Amazon Web Services Credits
• Second Place - $5,000 plus $3,500 Amazon Web Services Credits
• Third Place - $2,500 plus $1,500 Amazon Web Services Credits
• Three Nemec Elevator Challenge Awards - $1,000 each
• James D. Pippin Student Veteran Award - $1,000
• One finalist selected for six months free mentoring through Austin Technology Incubator
• One finalist selected for a "Golden Ticket" entry to SEAL summer program
Current UT Austin graduate students can apply for our Investment Competition. You’re eligible to win cash for your startup idea plus receive invaluable feedback from a panel of experts and investors! See more information below in the Investment Competition section.