CFA Institute Research Challenge
April 27, 2018
Promoting best practices in equity research among the next generation of analysts. The CFA Institute Research Challenge is an annual global competition that provides university students with hands-on mentoring and intensive training in financial analysis.
In the first eight years of this annual competition, 15,000+ students from more than 1,000 universities around the world participated with the help of thousands of dedicated volunteers.
The CFA Institute Research Challenge is a competition between university-sponsored teams that research a designated publicly traded company, prepare a written report on that selected company, and then present their findings to a panel of judges. The competition has three levels: local, regional, and global. Winners at the local level advance to compete against teams within their geographic region at the regional level. Winning teams at the regional level advance to compete at the global level. One team is designated the ultimate winning team, or champion, at the global level.
Up to two teams may represent a University. Each university team may consist of a combination of undergraduate and graduate students. A team must consist of no fewer than three and no more than five members.
- Financial Analysis: How thorough was their analysis of the industry, company, and competitors?
- Valuation: Were the valuation methodologies appropriate and detailed?
- Presentation: How effective / convincing was their presentation? Was it logical and did the facts support the recommendation?
- Question & Answer: Were they able to answer the questions effectively and with confidence?
- Team Involvement: Team involvement in the presentation / questions and answers
- Materials: Quality of the slides
2017 Global Final and Americas Regional Champions: Barna Business School - Representing the CFA Institute Research Challenge in Central America
2017 Americas Regional Final Co-Champions: Seton Hall University - Representing NYSSA
2017 Asia Pacific Regional Final Champions: Singapore Management University - Representing CFA Society Singapore
2017 EMEA Regional Final Champions: BI Norwegian Business School - Representing CFA Society Denmark and CFA Society Norway