We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team - one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Legal Counsel, Consumer Solutions - Blockchain & Digital Assets
Who is Mastercard?
Mastercard is a global technology company in the payments industry. Our mission is to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart, and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments, and businesses realize their greatest potential.
Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. With connections across more than 210 countries and territories, we are building a sustainable world that unlocks priceless possibilities for all.
Mastercard is looking for an experienced lawyer to join the Consumer Solutions team to support the Blockchain & Digital Assets team. In this role you will be located in London, and will provide legal support and guidance on extending blockchain and digital asset (including crypto currency) capabilities to financial services. You will be part of a highly agile team building exciting and innovative products delivered at scale to global markets.
This role requires strong commercial knowledge and experience in the technology and financial/payment services space, ideally with experience working with emerging technology including distributed ledger technology (DLT), digital assets and crypto currency. The role will act as an advisor for product and sales clients to help enable the delivery of the commercial objectives and business strategy.
The ideal candidate is highly motivated, intellectually curious and analytical, dedicated to delivering strategic and hands-on legal support and partnership to develop the next generation of Mastercard product solutions focused on enabling the future of payments.
As Legal Counsel, you will be a member of the Law & Policy team supporting Mastercard's Consumer Solutions businesses. You will take a major role in handling product development and support matters for the business on a day-to-day basis, identifying and analyzing relevant issues and helping the business effectively navigate legal and regulatory risks and implement appropriate controls, policies and processes.
* Focus on legal support for the strategic development and daily operations of Mastercard's global products and services, reporting into the Senior Managing Counsel who is responsible for leading this legal support.
* Manage tactical and strategic legal support related to products and solutions to advance Mastercard's corporate objectives, including Mastercard's digital asset, blockchain and fintech strategy.
* Develop strong relationships with product development, business, sales and senior management within Mastercard's Consumer Solutions business.
* Collaborate with product, technology, sales, franchise, marketing, communications and others to develop and launch innovative products and solutions that differentiate Mastercard and meet our customers' and cardholders' rapidly changing needs.
* Assist clients in managing and mitigating legal and commercial risks by providing solution oriented guidance.
* Assist in the monitoring and evaluation of applicable laws and government regulations affecting the operation and product development of Mastercard's business.
* Inform policy and regulatory positions related to Mastercard's products and innovation with relevant internal and external stakeholders.
* Advise from concept, through development, to launch stage and beyond of various solutions and services:
o ensuring alignment and compliance of products and services with Mastercard's policies, procedures and processes and with local and global regulatory and commercial laws;
o covering a broad range of commercial and contractual matters, including product and PR legal review, non-disclosure agreements, pilot agreements, and bid process support;
o draft, review and negotiate a wide range of contracts (including complex technology agreements, customer and vendor agreements).
* Work in close collaboration with external and internal specialists (including regulatory, data privacy and intellectual property counsel).
* Provide training as appropriate to legal, franchise, sales and product colleagues.
* Identify needed process improvements and efficiencies; own and execute solutions to support Mastercard's transformation strategy and streamline processes to increase ease of doing business.
* Take responsibility for special projects while continuing to handle a steady stream of day-to-day matters.
* Instruct and manage external counsel within agreed policy and budget.
Please note that roles within Mastercard evolve with the needs of the business and department. Therefore, the above is a guideline and by no means comprehensive. Work may also include supporting products and sectors with respect to Fintechs, other emerging technology and new Mastercard focused segments.
This role will be based in London. As our team supports the business globally, the role requires the ability to support other time zones and may require some travel.
All About You
* A qualified lawyer with a solid academic and training background, licensed to practice in the relevant jurisdiction in which the job is located.
* An interest in the financial services industry, non-fungible tokens (NFTs), central bank digital currencies, stable coins, digital currency, crypto currency, and the use of public and private blockchains.
* Exposure to a broad range of commercial and technology law issues including with respect to emerging technology.
* Experience working on products and solutions involving DLT and advising on related legal issues. Knowledge of NFTs, smart contracts, the regulatory landscape and legal issues relating to crypto currency is desirable, but not essential.
* Experience across a range of commercial and technology contracts and the ability to analyze and identify the core legal issues, skilled at explaining technical problems succinctly and clearly.
* A working knowledge of data privacy and intellectual property issues and how they relate to emerging technology such as DLT in both the private and public sector.
* A fast learner who can gain rapid familiarity with complex products, services and legal frameworks and maintain knowledge of those changing products, services and legal frameworks.
* Should have a positive "can-do" attitude, be stress-resistant and ready to go the extra mile, and be willing to take initiative.
* Solutions oriented with excellent time management, planning and organizational skills.
* Able to work flexibly under pressure and with tight deadlines.
* Strong drafting, writing, oral communication and negotiating skills, able to communicate your vision and roadmap effectively to a wide variety of stakeholders.
* Exceptional interpersonal skills with proven experience in relationship building and partnering. Must work well in both team and individual settings.
* Strong business acumen.
* Language: Fluent English.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
* Abide by Mastercard's security policies and practices;
* Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
* Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
* Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard's guidelines